Friday, January 18, 2008

Bobby Fischer

"The objective of chess is to crush the other mans mind."



The infamous recluse Bobby Fischer, went on to the great chess match in the sky thursday from kidney failure at the age of 64. He was an American hero and a tremendous big dog in the world of chess. He gave a face and a name to the game of chess. Once championed a hero for defiling famous Soviet chess player Boris Spassky durring the cold war.

I always dreamed of being a chess genius. Paralyzing my opponent with wit and wisdom. I can recall my father first teaching me the game when I was young. It stuck with me and still love to play. The famous film "Searching For Bobby Fischer" gave glimpse into what it might have been like to be a child prodigy. A film I fell in love with as a young lad.
Laurence Fishburne killed it in that movie.

In 2005 Fischer moved to Iceland, a country obsessed with chess. He would spend the rest of his days there. Sadly, during the decline of Bobby's character he was known more for his anti-semitism than his maniacal chess play.

Boris Spassky was contacted briefly the day of Fischers death via telephone at his home in france. Of Fischers death he said: "I'm very sorry, but Bobby Fischer is dead, good bye.."

RIP BOBBY

(sources sited sfgate.com)

No comments: